- This event has passed.
Youth Swordfighting (Jasper, July 14): Swordfighting Overview
July 14, 2018 @ 11:30 am–12:30 pm PDT$29
The Adventure of an Epic Journey!
Ages 8-14. Swordfighting learned through fun and teamwork! Through hard work, an eagerness to learn, and a generous spirit, you’ll begin an epic journey of swordfighting mastery. No experience is necessary.
Join Swordfight Canada in this 1-hour workshop on the practical skills of the medieval swordfighter. July’s topic: an introduction and overview of swordfighting technique and strategy. Some of the techniques you’ll learn:
- postures and stances of a swordfighter
- making cuts and thrusts with a sword
- useful defenses and counter-attacks
- how to practice on your own
Students will use nylon swords, fencing masks and gorgets (throat plate) provided by Swordfight Canada. If you have your own fencing equipment, please present them to the instructor for approved use before class begins.
Safety and respectful play is our priority. This month’s workshop will not have any sparring or freeplay at high speeds. Kids will be allowed to create swordfighting actions of their own with reduced speed and controlled play. Returning students are encouraged to bring gloves and simple elbow pads for quicker freeplay.
A Positive Learning Environment
Swordfight Canada is part of the Academie Duello group of swordfighting schools. Our learning environment stresses five key values.
- We welcome anyone who wishes to pursue the art of swordfighting as we teach it.
- We empower students to become great learners and teachers.
- We practice authentic martial arts sourced from real history and realized through quality simulator swords (nylon), spears (wood & rubber) and daggers (wood).
- We engage physically with these arts, placing a priority on partner safety and mutual respect.
- We work profesionally, teachers and students alike, taking care of ourselves, our training, each other, and our equipment.
If you have any questions, please contact Swordfight Canada’s director Greg Reimer by email (email@example.com) or by phone (604-727-4365) to discuss any questions, comments or concerns.
What to Bring
- Comfortable indoor shoes and clothes that you might use to do a regular workout. Long sleeves or a hoodie are better than bare arms.
- Thin soft gloves are optional but always a good idea when training.
- A water bottle or similar hydrating liquids.
- Please read through the Safety and Policies. If you are under the age of 19, bring a signed waiver on paper. View the safety waiver here.
- Swordfight Canada will provide a nylon (youth) or steel (adult) longsword, wooden staff, wooden dagger, fencing mask and throat protector (gorget) at no extra charge. If you have your own SCA or HEMA approved equipment, please contact the instructor regarding its suitability prior to class.