- This event has passed.
Swordfighting Drop-in (Valemount, Aug 14)
August 14 @ 6:00 pm–7:30 pm PDT$25
An amazing evening of swordfighting! Come and join Swordfight Canada for a practical class on the use of the medieval Longsword.
Learn Real Swordfighting Skills
In your drop-in class you’ll wield a medieval longsword like the knights and warriors of old once did. Your instructor will take you step-by-step through a lesson to give you historic techniques and real skills. Some of the techniques you’ll learn:
- the postures and movements of swordfighting
- the principles of blade control and combat safety
- attacking an opponent with thrusts and cuts
- defending against your opponent’s attacks
- strategizing the swordfight to put yourself at advantage
Recommended age 14 or older. This class is appropriate for all skill levels and physical abilities. Expect a great time of discovery and learning. Sign up on your own or with a buddy and experience something beautiful and unforgettable!
What to Bring
- Comfortable indoor shoes and clothes that you might use to do a regular workout. Long sleeves or a hoodie are better than bare arms.
- Thin soft gloves are optional but always a good idea when training.
- A water bottle or similar hydrating liquids.
- Please read through the Safety and Policies. If you are under the age of 19, bring a signed waiver on paper. View the safety waiver here.
- Swordfight Canada will provide a nylon (youth) or steel (adult) longsword, wooden staff, wooden dagger, fencing mask and throat protector (gorget) at no extra charge. If you have your own SCA or HEMA approved equipment, please contact the instructor regarding its suitability prior to class.
Get a Head Start
People new to swordfighting can get a head start by going through the Duello.TV’s free course, Getting Started with Longsword, or purchase a DTV Scholar’s Club subscription and receive access to the full Longsword Fundamentals course series for a more thorough introduction to the art of the Italian Longsword.