- This event has passed.
Medieval Warrior Workshop (Valemount, Apr 22): Grapples & Disarms with Longsword
April 22, 2018 @ 1:00 pm–4:00 pm PDT$59
Three amazing hours of swordfighting! Come and join Swordfight Canada for a practical workshop on the use of the medieval Longsword, Dagger and Spear.
Medieval Warrior Workshop: Grapples & Disarms with Longsword
Sometimes a very gentlemanly swordfight can devolve into pushing, pulling and wrestling, or “grapples”. In this three-hour workshop you’ll learn the art of grappling with sword, dagger or spear in hand. You’ll be prepared for the transition between regular blade-play and grappling, what your options are and how to counter them, and even disarm the opponent of their sword! Some of the skills you’ll learn:
- making attacks that force the opponent’s defense
- how to disarm the opponent and take away their sword
- grappling options at three distances: the wrist, the elbow, and the shoulder
- grappling options on your forehand side and backhand side
- moving quickly and decisively to grapple at the right time
- how to counter the opponent’s attempts to grapple
Subscribers of DuelloTV can preview (and review) the techniques covered in the playlist titled “Longsword Grappling I“. Students taking ongoing classes/workshops with Swordfight Canada are eligible for the DuelloTV affiliate coupon. Inquire to find out more.
Recommended age 12 or older. This class is appropriate for all skill levels and physical abilities. Expect a great time of discovery and learning. Sign up on your own or with a buddy and experience something beautiful and unforgettable!
What to Bring
- Comfortable indoor shoes and clothes that you might use to do a regular workout. Long sleeves or a hoodie are better than bare arms.
- Thin soft gloves are optional but always a good idea when training.
- A water bottle or similar hydrating liquids.
- Please read through the Safety and Policies. If you are under the age of 19, bring a signed waiver on paper. View the safety waiver here.
- Swordfight Canada will provide a nylon (youth) or steel (adult) longsword, wooden staff, wooden dagger, fencing mask and throat protector (gorget) at no extra charge. If you have your own SCA or HEMA approved equipment, please contact the instructor regarding its suitability prior to class.
Get a Head Start
People new to swordfighting can get a head start by going through the Duello.TV’s free course, Getting Started with Longsword, or purchase a DTV Scholar’s Club subscription and receive access to the full Longsword Fundamentals course series for a more thorough introduction to the art of the Italian Longsword.