- This event has passed.
Medieval Martial Arts Workshop (Valemount, Jan 21) Swordfighting Overview; the Solo Swordfighter
January 21, 2018 @ 1:00 pm–4:00 pm PST$59 – $89
Three amazing hours of swordfighting! Come and join Swordfight Canada for a three-hour workshop on the use of the medieval Longsword, Dagger and Spear.
Medieval Martial Arts Workshop: An Overview of Swordfighting
In this 3-hour workshop you’ll learn a common system of attack, defense and strategy that allows for seamless transition from weapon to weapon. This way of swordfighting breaks down into five essential facets of combat.
- attacking with cuts
- defending against cuts
- attacking with thrusts
- defending against thrusts
- grappling with the sword in hand
The Solo Swordfighter
We’ll also cover a lot of posture and movement material in this workshop, all things that concern the swordfighter as an individual, and the kind of things they want to bring into their swordfighting game.
- cuts from all positions
- thrusts from all positions
- footwork and fluid movement of the blade
All of this reaches its peak in a solo progression of forms called the Twelve Poste Progression (sequence of 12 positions). We’ll use this form to highlight the main positions of combat and what makes them useful.
Recommended age 15 or older. This class is appropriate for all skill levels and physical abilities. Expect a great time of discovery and learning. Sign up on your own or with a buddy and experience something beautiful and unforgettable!
What to Bring to the Workshop
- Comfortable indoor shoes and clothes that you might use to do a regular workout. Long sleeves or a hoodie are better than bare arms.
- Thin soft gloves are optional but always a good idea when training.
- A water bottle or similar hydrating liquids.
- If you are under the age of 19, a signed waiver on paper. View the safety waiver here.
- Swordfight Canada will provide a steel longsword, wooden staff, wooden dagger, fencing mask and throat protector (gorget) at no extra charge. If you have your own SCA or HEMA approved equipment, please contact the instructor regarding its suitability prior to class.
Get a Head Start
Keeners can get a head start by going through the Duello.TV’s free course, Getting Started with Longsword, or purchase a DTV Scholar’s Club membership and receive access to the full Longsword Fundamentals course series for a more thorough introduction to the art of the Italian Longsword. Sign up as an ongoing student of Swordfight Canada and receive more than 50% off your DuelloTV subscription.