- This event has passed.
Learn Swordfighting (Jasper, June 23): Attacking with Cuts
June 23, 2018 @ 1:00 pm–5:00 pm PDT$79
Four amazing hours of swordfighting! Come and join Swordfight Canada for a four-hour practical workshop on the use of the medieval Longsword, Dagger and Spear.
Learn Swordfighting: Attacking with Cuts
The goal of every swordfight is to strike the opponent without being struck by them. In this 4-hour workshop you’ll learn how to control and finish a swordfight by attacking the opponent with a cut. We’ll solve problems along the way that lead us to a successful conclusion. Some of the skills you’ll learn:
- attacking with the six cuts (two from above, two middle, two from below)
- three advantages of blade control—the components of controlling the opponent’s weapon
- putting ourselves “one step ahead” in the fight
- forcing the opponent to defend instead of attack
- becoming sensitive to binds—blade pressure and where to move to—after the two swords cross
- the act of collecting, parrying the opponent’s sword
Subscribers of DuelloTV can preview (and review) the techniques covered in the playlist titled “Approaching Gioco Largo“. Students taking ongoing classes/workshops with Swordfight Canada are eligible for the DuelloTV affiliate coupon. Inquire to find out more.
Recommended age 12 or older. This class is appropriate for all skill levels and physical abilities. Expect a great time of discovery and learning. Sign up on your own or with a buddy and experience something beautiful and unforgettable!
What to Bring
- Comfortable indoor shoes and clothes that you might use to do a regular workout. Long sleeves or a hoodie are better than bare arms.
- Thin soft gloves are optional but always a good idea when training.
- A water bottle or similar hydrating liquids.
- Please read through the Safety and Policies. If you are under the age of 19, bring a signed waiver on paper. View the safety waiver here.
- Swordfight Canada will provide a nylon (youth) or steel (adult) longsword, wooden staff, wooden dagger, fencing mask and throat protector (gorget) at no extra charge. If you have your own SCA or HEMA approved equipment, please contact the instructor regarding its suitability prior to class.
Get a Head Start
People new to swordfighting can get a head start by going through the Duello.TV’s free course, Getting Started with Longsword, or purchase a DTV Scholar’s Club subscription and receive access to the full Longsword Fundamentals course series for a more thorough introduction to the art of the Italian Longsword.